December 01, 2004

Sibling Rivalry

"Never leave a toddler alone with a newborn," the book says ominously, but gives not a single word of explanation.

When we brought #2 son home, #1 son didn't take it well. He seemed annoyed, indifferent. It put him in a bad mood.

It turns out this is nothing. I have, in the past week, collected the following sibling rivalry stories from friends and co-workers:
  • "About a week after we brought the baby home the older one came to us and said 'it's time for Emily to go away now.' "
  • "Once the one-year old learned to walk, the three-year old opened the front door, pushed her out into the street, and closed it behind her. He was very quiet about it. We found her a block away."
  • "Our two-year old tried to smash the baby in the head with the telephone. He pretends to like her, and then when they cuddle he bites her cheek. We're taking him to a psychiatrist."
  • "I was two when my brother was born. When they brought him home I started stuttering. It took me a year to get over it."
  • "We know a family whose toddler tried to suffocate the baby with a pillow."

3 Comments:

Blogger VMM said...

Oh, that reminds me, I was going to tell you: the other day, Zeke asked to borrow a revolver. Just thought you should know...

December 2, 2004 at 6:52 PM  
Blogger Viceroy De Los Osos said...

Berhaps you need a "Skinner Box". Here's how B.F. Skinner maintained peace when #2 child came along:

"When we decided to have another child, my wife and I felt that it was time to apply a little labor-saving invention and design to the problems of the nursery......The result was an inexpensive apparatus in which our baby daughter has now been living for eleven months. Her remarkable good health and happiness and my wife’s welcome leisure have exceeded our most optimistic predictions, and we are convinced that a new deal for both mother and baby is at hand.

December 2, 2004 at 8:00 PM  
Blogger Corresponding Secretary General said...

Your situation is hopeless. You must give number two son to me. There is no other way.

December 3, 2004 at 1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home