March 29, 2005

The Laird's New Toys

As some of you know, the FSL and I have taken up archery. I wanted to post pictures of my new equipment, along with the vital statistics.



Irish Jon, a fixture at the archery range in golden gate park, did most of the work on these, and taught me how to fletch.
  • 23/64" diameter ceder shafts
  • 28" draw
  • 4 90-degree turkey feather fletches
  • 125 grain field tips
  • 11/32" snap nocks


This is quite a value for it's very low purchase price. BTW, should I ever go missing for a very long period of time, I have instructed my wife to only entertain suitors who can string it.
  • InterNature Viper Deluxe Longbow
  • 68" long (unstrung)
  • 50 pounds at 28" draw
  • Flat, figerglass laminated limbs
  • 1" limb reflex/deflex
  • Name: "Copperhead"

2 Comments:

Blogger JAB said...

Smashing - the cedar arrows are really satisfying to shoot, somehow, partly their aesthetics, partly they make an excellent thump when they hit. I also like the fletching.

The reflex/deflex design is a nice modern/traditional compromise I was strongly considering. The bow itself is beautiful.

I was humbled reading that Otzi, the 5000 year old mummy dug out of the alps, had an unfinished aprox. 55lb yew longbow; I can just pull mine with any control, and I'm having to work out with it to get ready for shooting next on Friday.

I recently read a tidbit about medieval fines levied on longbowmen caught practicing at less than 220 yards, which means at the very least a 100lb and more like a 150lb bow. Crickey.

Watching the hyperaccurate but vastly overengineered Olympic style bows at work, I was torn between envy, pity and annoyance. Mostly, the lily is guilded, machined, and cold molasses slow.

March 29, 2005 at 8:38 PM  
Blogger Undersecretary to the Deputy Commissariat said...

I was looking for an opportunity to ask you if you were going to learn "RL" fletching. I see I waited too long. Bravo!

March 29, 2005 at 9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home