May 11, 2005

The Gargantu-Digital Atomic Media Congealor

This story on Microsoft on the BBC elicited this comment from my self:

I remember sinking a date here in Seattle once by going on about how reliable, fun and morally superior Firefox is; she worked of course in Explorer's marketing department.


Every Microsoft employee I've met has been sharp but defensive, stressed, and amazingly unwilling to admit in public they work at Microsoft, visibly wincing as they let that particular social bomb drop. It can be a real conversation killer, like admitting you have leprosy or used to run guns for the Contras.

This is the essence of the problem: defensive arrogance, the natural ethos of a monopoly, and is why, TWO DECADES after Word first plopped onto the world, it's still buggy, slow, and unpleasant.

I would be more optimistic about Microsoft's planned Gargantu-Digital Atomic Media Congealor if I could yet be certain what will happen to the rest of my page when I italicize "sucks."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home