May 24, 2005

My New Favorite Song

After several dozen listenings, I conclude that "Girls Got Rhythm" surpasses longtime champion "Long Cool Woman (In a Black Dress)".

I had thought Angus was doing the riff on "Girls Got Rhythm" and they doubletracked it, or maybe hired a studio guitarist. But according to Angus in this 1985 interview, they never doubletracked, and Malcolm always plays the rhythm part.

This interview gives some hints on Malcolm's technique.

Step #1 - Big Strings: "I use Gibson Sonomatics [now sold under the name “L-5”] gauged .012-.058. I switched to that gauge three months after the band formed, and I’ve never changed. I first went to them because we’d been having tuning problems. I thought, “Well I’m just playing rhythm, so I’ll get the thick strings and keep my tuning solid.” Then I realized that we sounded better, too, because the rhythm sounds were bigger. You get more volume from thick strings. And they do stay in tune better when you’re digging in as hard as I do. I rip the chords as hard as I can so the wood really resonates. There’s no finesse involved."

Step #2 - Stop at the G String: "The big, open G chords are great. Just be careful not to hit too many of the thin strings when you’re strumming. Stop your strum at about the G string, and it just rounds bigger."

Step #3 - Feel the Love: "I love planting myself next to the drums and getting that groove thing going. I even put one of my feet against the drum riser so that I can feel the drums vibrating."


My favorite exchange from that interview with Angus:

Q: Do you know what you're doing in musical terms?

A: I haven't a clue.

Q: You don't work on scales.

A: Nah.


So, Malcolm and Angus Young: Saaaa-LUTE!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home