November 30, 2005

"Panel condemns Patriot Act's procedures" UW Daily

I know what I'm talking about: I'm on a Panel, shown here:

Enlarged photo

Former Seattle police chief Norm Stamper discusses the Patriot Act at the HUB last night as fellow panel members (from left) Ray Minchew, Jamie Bollenbach and Ali-Salaam Mahmoud look on.

This was a speech to the UW Libertarians (I know, I know- there weren't a lot) over developments in the Patriot Act. The revisions are before a conference committee right now, preparing to make many of the provisions most toxic to freedom permanent. For the love of liberty and democracy, call your Senators.

I may not be quoted in the story, but I am clearly on the Panel, and that's the important thing. That and changing this maddeningly proto-fascist legislation.

Norm Stamper, the keynote speaker who has been in law enforcement for decades, was the Chief of Police during the Seattle WTO riots, yet condemned the Act even more vehemently than I had.

The Republican on the panel was obscured by the podium.

3 Comments:

Blogger VMM said...

Glad to see our own First Sea Lord "impaneled."

November 30, 2005 at 9:44 PM  
Blogger President in exile said...

I like the Batman-style cocked angle of the photo.

November 30, 2005 at 10:36 PM  
Blogger JAB said...

Interesting you mention that. Batman, offstage to the right, had just spoken on the topic:

"Why Attorney General Gonzales is a Yapping Lapdog of the Crypto-Fascist Police State."

December 1, 2005 at 4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home