December 14, 2006

I complete my first wiki entry

So I went in and filled out the stub in Wikipedia for my maternal grandfather.

A few notes on this whole wiki thing:

Reasonably easy to use markup language. Adding the links to the various items was surprisingly painless, and the tags for references and such were easy. I recommend it for anyone with way too much time on their hands.

A few notes on compiling a bio on your grandfather:

I was far too young to appreciate him when he was around (He suffered from Alzheimer's by the time I was a teen, and he passed away when I was 19), but now at age 42, researching his life was fascinating stuff. I had no idea he was as well known as he was, and I had no idea there was such controversy surrounding his career.

I still have to fill out his publishing history, and find a few more references (he may have been whisked back to the US as part of Operation Paperclip, but I need to dig up confirmation), but it's a good first pass (if I do say so myself)

What brave new world that hath such hand crafted gifts from son to mother. I'm not sure if this beats the crappy ashtray I made when I was 7, but I think it'll have to do this year.

Next year: Paternal grandfather!

4 Comments:

Blogger VMM said...

Very good! Well done.

December 14, 2006 at 1:07 AM  
Blogger JAB said...

Nicely written, and fascinating, in particular with presentation of the controversy on his career.

Which reminds me, we need to write the bio on Soapy Smith..., but not for his work on mathematics, unless you count charging people for fake telegrams from Alaska in 1896.

December 14, 2006 at 10:45 AM  
Blogger Latouche at Large said...

Dr. X posts this from Minneapolis, where it's actually quite warm:

"Cool!"

December 14, 2006 at 8:49 PM  
Blogger The Sum of All Monkeys said...

RE: Soapy smith...

Wikipedia's got you covered.

December 17, 2006 at 12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home