May 31, 2009

Dear Consumption Advisor...

Laird, given your position as de facto consumption advisor, and impeccable track record as same, please let me know which sextant I should buy.

The top-of-the-line? Or the budget lifeboat special?

Here is a "how to buy a sextant" article which I arbitrarily reject as sadly ill-informed and inadequate, whatever its merits.

My purchase criteria are:
- Good value for money
- Must look cool
- Must actually work
- Shouldn't cost a lot (TARP money, yadda yadda yaddah...)

7 Comments:

Blogger VMM said...

That all depends. What sort of boat do you have?

May 31, 2009 at 10:00 PM  
Blogger The Front said...

I don't have a boat. I mainly want to use it for picnics. You know, it's a sunny day, you're sitting around with your friends, and you whip out your sextant and nautical almanac, and calculate your latitude. I imagine passing many happy hours this way.

May 31, 2009 at 10:10 PM  
Blogger JAB said...

I am aware of a fellow who uses only 19th century tools and machines in his works and who reworks priceless chronometers, sextants and steam engines.

And suddenly I wonder if he has a website.

June 2, 2009 at 10:36 AM  
Blogger The Sum of All Monkeys said...

I believe Aerostitch, purveyors of all things awesome, might have what you're looking for.

Ah yes, filed under analog GPS.

June 2, 2009 at 10:27 PM  
Blogger JAB said...

If the goal is impressing people, make your own sextant on the spot..

http://library.thinkquest.org/6169/sextant.htm

June 3, 2009 at 11:49 AM  
Blogger JAB said...

Here's a proper one made out of cd bits:

http://www.tecepe.com.br/nav/CDSextantProject.htm

June 3, 2009 at 11:53 AM  
Blogger Viceroy De Los Osos said...

You give them a perfectly useful nautical device and pretty soon the kids are sextanting each other hither and thither.

June 3, 2009 at 1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home