November 22, 2009

The Curse of 370

One thing about this dumb game the Laird makes us play - it is teaching me a lot about football. For example, I had not known until a few hours after I drafted Michael "Burner" Turner, that there was such a thing as the Curse of 370. It turns out that running backs who have more than 370 carries in a season tend to have bad follow-up years.

I was not too concerned until Turner actually said "I'm not thinking about the 370 thing." Which means, of course, that after it had been pointed out to him he was thinking about it every waking hour of his life.

Nonetheless, I thought Turner had beaten the curse, or at least mostly dodged it. His fan points ytd, by game:
  1. 6.5
  2. 15.0
  3. 9.6 (obviously cursed, so I benched him)
  4. Bye
  5. 27.7 (on the road, against the then-vaunted SF defense, so I put him back in)
  6. 10.6
  7. 11.0
  8. 21.1
  9. 30.0
  10. 11.1 ... and done
As of today, 370 chickens have come home to roost. He is out for 4-6 weeks with a high ankle sprain.

Football harmful? Who knew?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/DoctorX/55214_falcons_panthers_football_med.jpg?t=1258945385

Of course under the Fantasy Football Uncertainty Principle, if I waive Turner the Laird will pick him up and he will run for three 40-point games at year-end. If I retain him, he is certainly done for the year.

So, when we draft next year - beware the Curse of 370!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home