July 13, 2012

The four missing pieces

No doubt you'll be fascinated to hear that I finished copying my CD collection to hard drive. I ripped 445 discs.

After I finished, I realized there were four big holes: albums I didn't have I realized I couldn't live without. (All four arrived this afternoon.)

Give 'Em Enough Rope - The Clash

I guess this was my first 'punk rock' album. I haven't had a copy of this since I taped it from Evans W.'s LP collection. Sandwiched between their debut and London Calling, it gets a bit overshadowed in pop music history. But it's still my favorite Clash album.

Favorite track: Safe European Home still gives me goosebumps.


Jumpin' Jive - Joe Jackson

At Bennington, this was our go-to album backstage before showtime. Seemed like every performance for every show I heard it. Never got tired of it.

Favorite track: Five Guys Named Moe.


Something for Everybody - Devo

The most amazing thing happened in 2010. After almost 30 years since their last good album, the Devo new album didn't suck. I over-listened to Devo back in the 80's (perhaps you noticed) to the extent that I don't even have their individual albums anymore. So for the past two years, I've been over-listening to this.

Favorite track: Please Baby Please. This song swings.
The Best of Sweet

A while ago, a co-worker about 10 years younger asked me, "How old were you when you started hating the Top-40 music the kids were listening to?" I told him "Thirteen."

But back in 1975, when I was 11, it was all good. I learned much later in life that this was "glam rock," and that Sweet was more respectable than KISS but less respectable than T. Rex. Now I'm old enough not to care.

Favorite track: shifted over the years, from Little Willy to Ballroom Blitz to Wig Wam Bam; now it's Fox On The Run.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Other Front said...

Although we are now at the age where such statements are superfluities, allow me to say sir, that your taste is impeccable.

July 13, 2012 at 9:04 PM  
Blogger VMM said...

You are too kind, sir.

July 13, 2012 at 9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home