December 01, 2012

How to ruin a pop song

At the neighborhood store this afternoon when 10cc's The Things We Do for Love came on the radio.

(Here is the least repulsive fan video of the song I could find on YouTube.)



This song is sort-of a guilty pleasure for me. I soft-of consider it for a list of favorite pop ditties featured on AM radio during the 70's if it weren't for one thing. Please allow me to elaborate the internal monologue I relive every time I hear it:

INTRO

"Difficult to identify sounds are coming out of my radio, yet it seems familiar. Oh yeah, it's that song!"

VERSE
Too many broken hearts have fallen in the river 
Too many lonely souls have drifted out to sea,
"That's such a sweet turn of phrase, and I really love the arrangement and production values of this song. Keep It Simple!"

CHORUS
Like walking in the rain and the snow  
When there's nowhere to go 
And you're feelin' like a part of you is dying
"All pride put aside, I actually like this chorus. It's starts out cutesy, but pivots to heart wrenching. Takes me back to a time and place where I didn't know what love was, but longing hurt just the same."

BRIDGE
Ooooooooh you made me love you  
Ooooooooh you've got a way 
"For the love of God -- STOP! PLEASE STOP! I'LL TELL YOU WHERE I HID THE GOLD!"

1 Comments:

Blogger The Other Front said...

I concur on all points.

December 1, 2012 at 10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home