June 02, 2013

Reed College: Atheism, Communism, Free Love

Reed College's unofficial logo.  I should point out that this is a joke that dates from the 1920s, by which Reed's reputation was firmly established.  I'm thinking of putting on my laptop for the benefit of all the shaved-sideburn Methodists at Seattle Pacific University.

I should add that it is a bit misleading.  Marxism is not really communism per se, and there were a lot of agnostics. As for Free Love, it distinctly lacked the full measure of what that might imply. 

1 Comments:

Blogger The Other Front said...

Having watched Singin' in the Rain at the Stanford Theater yesterday, I was thinking of constructing one of these for myself, with the motto:

Dignitas: Semper Dignitas

June 2, 2013 at 6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home