July 24, 2013

Flee in Dismay Before the Gates!

Richard Sherman's new column in Sports Illustrated.

"I was raised in a tough part of L.A. by two great parents, my mother, Beverly, and father, Kevin. I lived in Watts until I was about 14, then moved to Compton. My mom works with mentally disabled kids for the County of Los Angeles. My dad drives a trash truck.He still leaves the house at 4 in the morning to go out on his route. So I was raised understanding the value of hard work. My parents preached academics above all else."

and

"I remember reading The Iliad and loving it. You wouldn’t think a football player would be into Greek poetry about the Trojan War, but my parents gave me the greatest piece of knowledge when I was young: You can learn a lot if you’re willing to go outside your comfort zone."

And why would Richard Sherman like the Illiad?

Thus did (Hector) stand and ponder, but Achilles came up to him as it were

                            Mars himself, plumed lord of battle. From his right shoulder he
brandished his terrible spear of Pelian ash, and the bronze gleamed
around him like flashing fire or the rays of the rising sun. Fear fell

                            upon Hector as he beheld him, and he dared not stay longer where he
was but fled in dismay from before the gates, while Achilles darted
after him at his utmost speed. As a mountain falcon, swiftest of all

                            birds, swoops down upon some cowering dove- the dove flies before
him but the falcon with a shrill scream follows close after,
resolved to have her- even so did Achilles make straight for Hector

                            with all his might, while Hector fled under the Trojan wall as fast as
his limbs could take him.


2 Comments:

Blogger VMM said...

I'm happy for Sherman in that he wants to have a broadcasting career after football, but at his point in his career, I think this would be more appropriate:

WHERE I’M COMING FROM

The Seahawks are going to win the Super Bowl, and there's nothing you or anybody else can do about it.

THE END

July 25, 2013 at 8:17 AM  
Blogger JAB said...

I'm trying to remember at what previous point in the Seahawks history it would have been appropriate to urge Richard Sherman on to even more attitude.

July 25, 2013 at 1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home