November 06, 2013

Right city, wrong season

I'm in Chicago this week, so here's Ted Leo with a summer song for the AV Club:


Ted Leo And The Pharmacists cover The Ramones

I hadn't realized that Leo's cover of "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" was the first in this series, and having listened to a bunch of them, I still think it is one of the best, both for the fine execution of the song and the note-perfect replication of the conversation with his father.  The AV Club's moved the link, but that performance is now available here.

Covers are hard, but Ted seems to have knack for them.  There aren't many others in the series I think are great, but I enjoyed (for very different reasons) J.C. Brooks and Coliseum as well.

Okay, I admit it, I really liked this one, too, just because I hadn't heard it in years and it took me right back to to college, and I was weeping sentimentally until I looked it up and found it wasn't released until fifteen years after I graduated.  Senile, fine.  And you?

"I like reminiscing with total strangers."  - Stephen Wright

1 Comments:

Blogger The Other Front said...

According to WikiSourceofAllKnowledge:

In 2006, Ice-T was asked on Late Night with Conan O'Brien about what he has heard, besides rap music, of late in the last few years that really grabbed him and his only reply was "You Get What You Give."

November 8, 2013 at 12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home