About six months ago my family embarked on an experiment in which we agreed, once a week, to watch a movie together. Since these are family events, we have a somewhat limited range in the kinds of movies we watch. At a certain level I'd enjoy the opportunity to share Beast Cops with the family, but I think there are laws against that kind of thing. If there aren't, there should be.
Anyway, it's gone better than I expected. Key findings so far:
- Artistic achievement: Kubo and the Two Strings.
- I am alone here award: I enjoyed The Prisoner of Zenda, but my family hated everything about it and blame me.
- Best superhero fight: Civil War, brilliant, ridiculous, Spiderman steals the show...just like a real comic book.
- Best superhero movie: The Winter Soldier.
- Best Star Trek movie: Star Trek Beyond.
- Not as bad as I feared: Secret Life of Pets. I was braced for two hours of pain, but that bunny is awesome! I love that bunny!
- Biggest meh: Zootopia is gorgeous, well-crafted, well-acted. But I feel like I should have liked it more than I did. Too preachy? Too goody goody? I loved the Bob and Ray tribute, however.
- Others: As noted previously, Robin Hood and Shaolin Soccer are awesome.