April 10, 2018

The Life Aquatic

Let me show you my quirks

A few notes:

  • Arguably the finest Moby Dick / Buckaroo Banzai mashup yet made
  • Budget $50 mm, box office $35 mm
    • Now considered a classic
    • Uh, right?
  • Resident film critic notes that in the final credits a figure that looks like the late Ned can be seen in the forward lookout nest of the Belafonte
  • Todd VanDerWerff writes on Vox that "the director’s misunderstood classic knows that sadness can’t be defeated, only lived with."
  • Official watch:  Vostok Amphibia
  • Adidas now makes the shoes.
  • This is a fine potential piece of home furnishing.
  • "My rational mind informs me that this movie doesn't work. Yet I hear a subversive whisper: Since it does so many other things, does it have to work, too? Can't it just exist? 'Terminal whimsy,' I called it on the TV show. Yes, but isn't that better than half-hearted whimsy, or no whimsy at all? Wes Anderson's 'The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou" is the damnedest film. I can't recommend it, but I would not for one second discourage you from seeing it.'" - Ebert

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger VMM said...

I gotta have those shoes!

April 11, 2018 at 7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home