September 23, 2018

Let me explain. No...there is too much. Let me sum up.

Tiger Woods won his 80th golf tournament today, five years and two spinal fusions after winning his 79th.

I don't know much about golf, but I know you don't see this every day:




In these situations our go-to guy is Thomas Boswell:
This wasn’t a day for those double Woods uppercut fist pumps. He held his emotions in, no energy or will to spare. “Fight and grind,” he said afterward of his day. Then, referring to his year: “I found a game. I put pieces together.” And of the final hole: “I was having a hard time not crying coming up to the last green.” 
Against injuries, against eight surgeries, against self-inflicted shame and mortification, against the golf gravity of a 10-year slump without a major championship and five years without any victory, Woods still led by two. 
At that moment, the same question went through 19th holes, press boxes, living rooms, bars, sports departments and locker rooms all over America, all over the world for that matter, as everyone realized that one evaluation needed to be made about Woods’s win. 
Was this the greatest individual comeback in the history of sports?

Maybe Ali?  But if we're comparing your comeback to Muhammed Ali, you have climbed a hell of a mountain.

I'd say welcome back, but this is the first time it's been like this, isn't it...?  After all those tournaments he was supposed to win...maybe tomorrow morning Tiger Woods wakes up and feels a new sensation:  gratitude.

Never too late.

(link)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home