January 12, 2019

#5: the best Spike Jonze music video not made by Spike Jonze

After making preliminary lists, I had to make the hard decision to not include multiple videos by Spike Jonze. He directed 59 music videos, some among my favorites that I had leave out.

FatBoy Slim tried to engage Jonze to make the video for his 1998 dance hit The Rockafeller Skank. Jonze couldn't make the time commitment as he was working on Being John Malkovich, his first feature film. As a consolation, Jonze filmed himself dancing to Rockafeller Skank playing on a beat box along a Hollywood Boulevard sidewalk.

Doug Aiken, who'd previously directed the video for FatBoy Slim's Goin' Out of My Head, got the call. The result looks like the most ambitious short ever filmed in 16mm; a four-minute, fusion of La Ronde and The Odyssey with a beat you can dance to. When I brought it to the attention of my millennial co-workers, one declared it, "The most 90's thing in existence."


2 Comments:

Blogger The Other Front said...

I had never seen this. In my channel surfing I only saw the Jonze dancing video, had no idea this one existed.

Your Millenial friend is wise, but "most 90s thing ever" is a very tough category. I would nominate Hackers or Executive Target, but maybe this topic should have its own thread and hashtag.

January 13, 2019 at 6:44 PM  
Blogger The Other Front said...

One thing I remember about the 90s is whenever people would have sex a saxophone would start to play.

January 13, 2019 at 6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home