May 31, 2004

SEA CHASE!

As the Nutmeg of Consolation pushed 2 knots today 3 points off a weak Southwesterly, I beheld the large sloop-rigged yacht sharing my bearing off what I like to call Doggie Head, just past the NOAA station. I had crossed her bows only a half glass before, each of us attempting to gain a little Southing in the light airs. But our paths kept crossing, the larger vessel suddenly giving chase. Not in the lee of Doggie Head, I actually gained against the monster for a moment. A wily sea dog, she matched my movements. I considered starting my water but it was barely a pint and would never have speeded me along hardly at all.

Finally passing at pistol shot to port, she bore round and headed up to come about and cross my bows. A confrontation? There she held all aback, and we exchanged greetings. Soon they inquired if I had any ice. I demured, having no ice, but offered sandpaper, which I did in fact have. Hilarity ensued and they begged I cross her stern, where they threw me a delicious Ballard Bitter. Hail to the fair ship Kahuna!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home