June 04, 2004

ANCHORAGE ANECDOTE #1

(These don't have to be yours, funny, or even verifiable. It's the search for the soul)

When I was about 14, I was taking my favorite bike route around Lake Spenard on a warm summer day, and plopped the bike next to an empty floatplane dock. I noticed a metallic shine on the lake bottom, a beige and small box, and managed to fish it out with a wet sleeve. I opened it: about $14,000 in uncashed checks to a flying service, and some change. Amazing! I figured out a phone number from one check - they answered gruffly and I went to a apartment (The former Puffin Inn) to drop off the box. A kid opened the door, a lady came out to take the box. She thanked me brusquely and some guy let me have the change, about $5. A rolling letdown it was, a rude person considering the situation of just handing back her $14,000, and never a whiff of explanation. I wonder to this day if I foiled- or just set back - a plan to screw up someone's air charter business.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home