June 04, 2004

LOST IN ANCHORAGE

Summer 1981. I'm driving along the Seward Highway out of town for no reason, and see an empty car by the side of the road. No one around - no place to go, it's all rocks and surf on the right and cliffs on the left. I stop and look around, then turn around and go to work my shift at KSKA. I decide to call the cops and let them know about the car.

An hour or two later, a cop drops by the station. He wants to talk about the car. We have a friendly chat in which his inarticulateness reaches stratospheric levels ("I want to...I'm trying to...achieve...a rapport with you").

He gives up and leaves. On the way out I ask him what's up.

"I dunno," he says. "I suppose someone got killed."


[This is excellent - short, interesting, and ineffably Anchorage-like. More! -Right Honorable First Sea Lord]


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home