August 04, 2004

Nutmeg, At The Ramp

Finishing up a few pleasant hours of sailing today, I brought the Nutmeg in far more handily than I lead her out, tied her off, retrieved the trailer (by hand, as required) and snappily arranged the Nutmeg above her trailer.

Here was the awkward moment. You have to personally drag the quarter ton of trailer and boat up a short ramp originally designed for the PBY Catalinas that used to be stationed there at Sand Point. I held the painter and the trailer in one hand, and the snap and line for the block in the other, trying to connect the two as the trailer was sliding back down into the lake, my footing was like oiled oil, and some wag, I noticed as I looked up, had shortened the line six inches too short.

"Golly," I thought, struggling to maintain my footing as the fleshy linkage between boat, water, trailer, lines and land, "This would sure be an awkward moment for a very large spider to drop on my eye and crawl down my face."


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home