February 18, 2005

With all the folks having babies lately...

.. the subject of names keeps coming up.

Among perenial favorites of discussion are topics like "John seemed like it was a really common name when I was growing up, but now not so much." or "What ever happened to all those great 'turn of the century' names like Zelma?"

While this insanely cool interface doesn't answer the question of 'why', it does provide an informative display of 'when' and 'how much'.

For an extra fun exercize, try typing in Biblical names and see if you can't correlate them with the rise of fundamentalism in the US!

6 Comments:

Blogger The Sum of All Monkeys said...

I think I will name my first child "Ada." (Once ranked at 85 now lost to obscurity) or 'Harold' (14th place in 1920 to 595th in '03)

February 18, 2005 at 7:51 PM  
Blogger VMM said...

That is cool. I notice that all of our first names are now less popular than when we got them...

February 19, 2005 at 4:10 PM  
Blogger JAB said...

If they put the deficit projections in this interesting format, we might not be regifting that tiny, whiny, lizard- minded part of America with absurd tax cuts.

February 19, 2005 at 6:33 PM  
Blogger Undersecretary to the Deputy Commissariat said...

I note that my name has become extremely popular since it was given to me. Among girls, anyway. The Laird's name seems to be precisely as popular as it was, i.e., not even on the map.

February 21, 2005 at 12:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Interesting.....my name was unused prior to 1970? Hm.
I do agree, though, the interface is cool.

February 21, 2005 at 4:56 PM  
Blogger Corresponding Secretary General said...

And Jameson is such a beloved and high quality beverage. Perhaps I shall name my first child "Bushmill Jameson" or maybe "Jameson Bushmill."

February 25, 2005 at 11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home