April 25, 2005

Relax, Take This

I padded across the spa's Italian marble floor in my robe. "Here," said the coiffed proprietor, "we have some wonderful herbal supplements for your tea. It's a perfect way to get ready for your massage."

Hmm, "Virtual Buddha" the bottle said. She poured the contents into a cup of tea and I had a taste. Not bad - peachy, sweetish, warming. Virtual Buddha had a nice little flavor. As she wandered off I discretely checked the label - Polygala (don't know what that is), asparagus root (ok, probably not bad), and...ginseng. Ahh, ginseng. Red ginseng, panax ginseng, Siberian ginseng, Spirit ginseng - that's a lot of ginseng. For the amped-up virtual Buddha who needs to drive his big rig late into the night, apparently.

I shouldn't have been surprised. Big Sur is full of seekers who want results (there's a seeker born every minute), and enlightenment is so...fickle. The spa can't be working through every damn thing with you, they're busy. So they provide a little pharmaceutical assist.

I put down the teacup, slightly less than half-finished. After a vigorous massage - not so much a massage, on reflection, as a ruthless physical spiritual interrogation - I resisted manfully, but eventually cracked and confessed considerable sympathy for Lattimore's translation of The New Testament, The Screwtape Letters, and the Cathar heresy. Finally, I collapsed completely, screaming "Rinzai sucks! Soto rules!" The Inquisitor, up to his ass in Emersonians and syncretists, had me sign a lurid confession, post bail, and depart on my own recognizance.

I say, after a vigorous massage, I drove briskly home, as clear as a Scientologist after electroshock, untroubled by drowsiness or confusion of any kind.

And when I got home I slept for about 12 hours. Probably best for all concerned that I didn't drink the whole thing.

3 Comments:

Blogger JAB said...

Wouldn't the phrase "Rinzai sucks, Soto Rules" be precisely the type of embraced challenge to the faith in Buddha nature that Rinzai advocates and Soto condemns?

April 25, 2005 at 5:24 PM  
Blogger VMM said...

"Big Sur is full of seekers who want results." I like that. You don't see enough results-oriented spiritualists in the world. (Don't bother Googling it, you'll spoil the fun.)

April 25, 2005 at 7:13 PM  
Blogger JAB said...

Which makes you a Rinzaininian.

April 25, 2005 at 7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home