September 24, 2005

New Work at Seattle Art Museum Rental/Sales Gallery

Afterimage: Sara
2005
65" by 48" oil on canvas

This new work is of Sara Graves at the Ballard studio over the course of this summer. A partial way to look at this is to think of a Dekooning (Excavation) pushed back into a classical painting space. There is also a clear riff on the early Duchamp paintings, as well as the futurists.

I assure you, however, I have no interest in machine worship and the rise of Mussolini.
This is in a way a rounding of a certain circle, a kind of rearguard defense of the human hand and eye and body and memory, posited either indifferently or against the rise of the half-conscious presumption of techonological superiority, depending on my mood. All of this makes it uncomfortably conservative in an almost romantic defense of humanism.

I don't hate technology - but I am alarmed at its increasingly unexamined ubiquity. The simple legitimacy of human senses and experience is suffering a torture of a thousand cuts.

More discussion of this and 3 other new and revised pieces at bollenbach.blogspot.com.

I APOLOGIZE for the poor quality of the photos - I really need to get a semi-proper digital camera.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home