November 30, 2005

PiE on Rep. Cunningham (R - CA)

I wanted to raise the President in Exile's comments on Duke Cunningham, because I think they are particularly perceptive:

"It's always fun to pretend the illusions of media stereotyping are real-- but you're a chump if you think being able to shoot down a lot of planes makes you a moral person, or if you feel sorry for this crook. There are many other crooks in more need of pity who got a lot less than a Rolls Royce and a yacht, betrayed far less important principles, and will be punished far more severely."

I agree. But, I still salute him as a Republican capable of demonstrating shame (cf. Tom DeLay). To misquote Dr. Johnson, "A Republican demonstrating shame is like a dog walking on its hind legs; it is not done well, but you are surprised to see it done at all."

1 Comments:

Blogger Viceroy De Los Osos said...

The most moral person I know is my father, who flew 59 missions in a clunky P-40 and never saw an enemy plane.

He liked to quote Ed Nollmeyer, a squadron mate and Ace who said something like "You stare down the barrel of a thousand guns and nobody bats an eye. But sneak up on some poor bastard and shoot him out of the sky and you're a war hero".

Dad rarely spoke of the war until near his death, only mentioned his Distinguished Flying Cross when asked and would never have taken so much as a cup of coffee for a favor.

I can't help but admire Duke Cunningham's flying. As I recall he did shoot down several Migs in a single battle while outnumbered. I don't have anything but disdain for his political career; however, I am willing to take him at his word when he states that he will spend the rest of his life attempting to make ammends. In that effort, I wish him luck.

December 1, 2005 at 3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home