February 22, 2006

A Letter From a Friend

Dr. X asks that I pass along this recent message.


Hi JC, thanks for the money. I'll need another six thousand next week when I start to pay off the informants, have your guys ready. Please cut off the first couple sentences of this and put the rest up on the blog, ok?

Sorry about trashing your office right before I left...I haven't had that much Belgian ale in a long time. But that's the great thing about industrial chic, right? Just hose it down and it's good as new. That's why you OMA boys make the big bucks.

I got here in pretty good order. Pointe Noire is as-advertised, nice beaches, nice folks, good Christian radio. There really is a more relaxed world outlook here - five minutes off the jet, with that warm wind on your face and the sounds of the birds in your ears, and you feel like you're five years younger, at least.

Now that I am on the ground I can tell you a little more about my project. After the volume affair, I got to thinking about what makes a hit song. If you ask any advanced musicologist what is truly indispensable to a hit song, they will say the hook, or maybe the vocals. The fools. It is the drumming. Drumming is to hit songs as sauces are to French cooking. (Let's not re-open the whole Ringo thing right now - but he was the indispensable Beatle.)

But what do we really know about drumming? Have we gone into the field to hear it? No. Have we found the tribal drummers in the faraway lands whose licks we unconsciously imitate? No. Have we really gone to the heart of hit song drumming? No. But now I can change all that.

But enough about me. I read your blog entry and, um, I have a bit of advice. Your posts are too short. You MUST ELABORATE on your KEY POINTS. Don't just assume they understand what you mean the first time - MAKE YOUR POINT SEVERAL TIMES. These people are not trained architects, and it's not like you're paying for paper, so PLEASE be as verbose as you need to be to make the point EXACTLY the way you want it to be. My friends will thank you for it.

Oh, JC, I don't think I told you my friends used to be in a band called Superdrag, so you can ask them about that, too.

Cheers,

Dr. X

2 Comments:

Blogger JAB said...

Dr. X, in his weakened state, may have given you the curious impression that you are being agreed with, such as on the suggestion that the Beatles, especially with their appallingly mediocre drummer, were primarily important as a rejection of bauhaus-influenced architecture. Where this position may have originated is unclear, and in fact, mysterious, although Christian rock would appear to be a factor. I am concerned about a possible forthcoming expression that Blue Oyster Cult liberated us from art deco kitchen appliances.

February 23, 2006 at 12:42 AM  
Blogger Undersecretary to the Deputy Commissariat said...

Speaking as the "fifth Superdragon," --you remember the night, don't you? We took the tabla where it has never been before or since--I have just this to say: X, the check bounced.

February 23, 2006 at 12:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home