March 23, 2006

The Dizzying Heights of Dryness

I proclaim the BBC comedy import, Look Around You, to be the dryest show I have ever seen, somewhat comparable to, but much dryer than, Mr. Show.

The essential joke is the World of Tomorrow, circa 1979, a cheerful, informative look at the world of the future. It's played very, very, very dry. I took me a while to realize it really was a comedy rather than a 25 yearl old piece of footage; the dead giveaway was the Ghost of Tchiakovsky reviewing the contenders for the music of the year 2000. "I'm rapping, I'm rapping, rap, rap, rap, rap, rappy rappin'."

So dry, it makes The Office look like the Benny Hill show.... it's dryer than a stack of 1974 Department of Agriculture soybean yield forecasts as read in the Kalahari by the thirsty but late David Brinkley. Dry, I tell you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home