April 07, 2006

Bush's Drive for a Police State

I mentioned here several weeks ago that almost certainly, warrantless wiretaps would not be limited to overseas calls. Today, Gonzales effectively sanctioned unfettered monitoring of any American's phone calls solely on executive authority.

In other words, exactly like the fun days under the KGB in Soviet Russia. In this, George W. Bush is pushing for dictatorial powers, with even the suck-up FISA court too much of an inconvienience.

On a better note, in North Carolina a Mr. Taylor tells off Bush to his face, in something close to universal terms, from the Washington Post.

Then came Taylor, 61, a commercial real estate broker, who got Bush's attention from the balcony.


Harry Taylor, 61, criticized Bush on many issues and said he hopes Bush
Harry Taylor, 61

"You never stop talking about freedom, and I appreciate that," Taylor told him. "But while I listen to you talk about freedom, I see you assert your right to tap my telephone, to arrest me and hold me without charges, to try to preclude me from breathing clean air and drinking clean water and eating safe food."

Bush interrupted with a smile. "I'm not your favorite guy," he joked, provoking laughter.

"What I want to say to you," Taylor continued, "is that I, in my lifetime, I have never felt more ashamed of, nor more frightened by, my leadership in Washington."

Supposedly the White House wanted this sort of confrontation. They may have talked themselves into thinking they wanted it, reading a three day poll bump after Helen Thomas told him off, right before he reached new lows. I'm not buying - it was powerful and eloquent, and the smirking fools trying to shout this polite and dignifed man down are a big reason everyone's jumping on the GOP-hating bus.

Thank You, Mr. Taylor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home