August 11, 2006

The Terrorists Hate Our Bagpipes

No liquids on planes, or snakes, or Strativarius violins, or now, bagpipes.

(From the BBC story) Your comments:

This has been a huge problem for (believe it or not) bagpipers around the world. Thousands of us are traveling to Glasgow this August for the World Pipe Band Championships. Pipers normally carry their pipes on for the instrument's safety. Some of these bagpipes are antique and very valuable. African Blackwood is prone to cracking with varying levels of moisture and temperature, not to mention mis-handling by airport workers. It has never been a problem before to x-ray the intruments and open the case for inspection. This is going to be a disaster for pipers, and all instrumentalists, until the airlines find better ways to secure international flights.
kevin@seattlepiper.com, Seattle, USA

2 Comments:

Blogger Viceroy De Los Osos said...

I stand by my often stated opinion regarding air travel. Please drug me and place me in a coffin-like holding device, stick me in the hold and wake me when we arrive. I and my bagpipes will both be happier for it.

August 13, 2006 at 3:26 PM  
Blogger The Sum of All Monkeys said...

I too have long hoped for the establishment of a "sedation class" airfare.

<geek>The airline equivalent of 'low berths' in the RPG Traveller, if you will. </geek>

August 15, 2006 at 6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home