January 27, 2007

Watch Out for them Factory Accountants

Dr. X posts this from the Institute for the Delay of Middle-Aged Mental Decline:

"Maybe you've tried sudoku, the new puzzle craze that's sweeping the country. Maybe you've passed some hours on a plane, or maybe you've missed a day or two or work, or maybe you've played sudoku non-stop for weeks without food, water, or basic hygiene, until the Police broke into your house because everyone thought you were dead.

"But it's good for you, really. Or so the doctors say. If I do enough of them maybe I can have my car keys back.

"I was interested to see they had a World Sudoku Championship last year. I wasn't surprised to see the third-place winner was a software engineer from Google, nor that second prize went to a Harvard grad student.

"But the winner was Jana Tylova, a factory accountant from the Czech Republic. I don't know what they're making in that factory, but if that's their accountant I wouldn't want to see their actuarial analysis team, if you know what I mean.

"Tylova said: 'There is no difference between men and women and I tried to prove that even in logic men and women are on the same level.'

"She proved it. She also proved that you'd better watch yourself around Czech factory accountants, or they will kick your ass."

1 Comments:

Blogger JAB said...

I've decided not to try suduko. I may be entirely mistaken, but only the crossword appeals to me: to logic tests, I prefer the sorting of specific meanings and memories.

I am haunted by an NYT clue from years ago. I still wonder what the "Trafalgar square feature" was that was not Nelson's statue.

And I've been there.

January 28, 2007 at 10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home