April 12, 2007

The Laughing Cure

The Undersecretary inquires as to hilarious movies, and/or, other Netflix treats.

I'll start off with some suggestions. Go ahead and edit right into this post. The disagreements will be fun.

Movies of the current while:

Anchorman
Tenacious D the Movie (I liked it rather better than the album)
Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle.
Clerks II and of course Clerks -
The 40 Year Old Virgin
A Mighty Wind, and Dog Show "Can I just look at your labels?" (also, has cute dogs) By the Spinal Tap guys.



Movies of the Previous While

From the CSG: Am I the only person who found
Bowfinger hilarious? (NO!- FSL) Chubby Rain!
Also, not exactly a laugh fest, but a lot of fun: Sleuth, with Michael Cain and Laurence Olivier chewing up the scenery.

The Big Lebowski
Singin' in the Rain - this would cheer the dead.
The Philadelphia Story
Safety Last! (Harold Lloyd, Silent)
Duck Soup
Young Frankenstein
The Producers: 1968 - the original, Gene Wilder, Zero Mostel, far better
His Girl Friday
Bananas
The Adventures of Robin Hood - 1939, This is comedy in the sense of happiness; perhaps the greatest hurrah! movie ever made; also, in this category, Captain Blood!
Our Man in Havana, Barnacle Bill aka All At Sea and the Lavender Hill Mob (Alec Guiness, acting)


Television Shows

Television, in all honesty, is probably a better format for laugh-out comedy; most movie comedies feel padded, which is why many of the great comedies were both in the past, and short. And the DVD collection era allows a build up of familiarity that contributes to the atmosphere of hilarity.


Extras
Futurama
(Again in production, by the way. Yay!)
The Venture Brothers. This is the liberal arts version of Johnny Quest (who, unnamed actually ends up in the show, high on meth, living inside a submarine lab). It is best not to try to explain Dr. Girlfriend. My particular favorite is Dr. Orpheus.
Black Books (Here, to avoid doing his taxes, Bernard attempts to get beat up by Skinheads)
Jeeves and Wooster.
If not already completely memorized, Mr. Show is a treat. One of my particular favorites is from Season Four, Episode Five, The Story of Everest.


How about some stand up? I'm a big fan of Eddie Izzard and while in Dress to Kill he calls himself an "Executive Transvestite" I would describe him as a funny, sweet, British nerd. Come to think of it, he's all over The YouTube. Check this out.

Comedians! Of course! Eddie Izzard is indeed fantastic.

The late Mitch Hedberg: "I give you a dollar. You give me a donut. Then you give me a receipt for this donut. Do we really need to bring ink and paper into
this?."

I would look for Rodney Dangerfield performances, and classic Richard Pryor, if you haven't seen any in a centi-while. Comedy central's stand-up compliations are often better than you think they are going to be.


4 Comments:

Blogger Undersecretary to the Deputy Commissariat said...

Hmmm. I've missed a few movies on that list, but I'll try to catch them soon. Futurama and Jeeves and Wooster are musts, and have the advantage of being suitable to watch with my daughter. (Yeah, I watch Futurama with my nine-year-old daughter. And we have a great time.)

April 12, 2007 at 11:59 PM  
Blogger VMM said...

I think the First Lord means not Dog Show, but Best in Show. Make sure to watch the out-takes on the DVDs for both this and A Mighty Wind.

Also to be recommended:

Undercover Brother Would have been an better without Chris Catan, but nothing is perfect.

Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle

April 13, 2007 at 3:16 PM  
Blogger Undersecretary to the Deputy Commissariat said...

Just saw The Aristocrats.

It was funny in spots.

April 16, 2007 at 12:41 AM  
Blogger Undersecretary to the Deputy Commissariat said...

This evening, I washed down the Best of Triumph and the links to Venture Bros. and Eddie I. Come to think of it, I haven't washed them down with anything, which explains why I'm so thirsty. I am very much amused, though I must say V. Bros is extremely demented.

April 24, 2007 at 11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home