May 29, 2007

Good Night, Funny Man

Dr. X posts this from the Globe Theater in Los Angeles, California:

"Props to Defamer's tasteful and brief good-bye to Charles Nelson Reilly. The L.A. Times obituary is interesting, too, and has this revealing anecdote:

" 'After a "Tonight Show" guest who was talking about Shakespeare dismissed Reilly's attempt to join the conversation, he silenced her by delivering Hamlet's "the play's the thing" monologue straight, with depth and passion', the New York Observer reported in 2001.

"You know, the one that begins, 'Why, what an ass am I...'
Why, what an ass am I! This is most brave,
That I, the son of a dear father murder'd,
Prompted to my revenge by heaven and hell,
Must, like a whore, unpack my heart with words,
And fall a-cursing, like a very drab,
A scullion!
Fie upon't! foh! About, my brain! I have heard
That guilty creatures sitting at a play
Have by the very cunning of the scene
Been struck so to the soul that presently
They have proclaim'd their malefactions;
For murder, though it have no tongue, will speak
With most miraculous organ. I'll have these players
Play something like the murder of my father
Before mine uncle: I'll observe his looks;
I'll tent him to the quick: if he but blench,
I know my course. The spirit that I have seen
May be the devil: and the devil hath power
To assume a pleasing shape; yea, and perhaps
Out of my weakness and my melancholy,
As he is very potent with such spirits,
Abuses me to damn me: I'll have grounds
More relative than this: the play 's the thing
Wherein I'll catch the conscience of the king.

"The trailer for the movie of his one-man show is here. Review here."

1 Comments:

Blogger JAB said...

What's Next, Paul Lynde Day?

May 31, 2007 at 9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home