July 16, 2007

Wayne Rooney - Friend or Foe?

Dr. X post this from Arsenal Stadium ("The Home of Football"):

"I think we need to discuss where Eisengeiste/Isengard stands on Premier League Football. I come to this question without partisanship or rancor, which is in this case a major handicap. So let me just blue-sky a few things:

"Manchester United. Featuring Wayne Rooney, who can do this. Wayne did not get any high school credentials, likes reading Harry Potter, and his favorite movie is Grease. I don't wish to anticipate the views of the group, but my guess is that this team of smug front-runners and their literacy-challenged star are not a good fit for us.

"Arsenal F.C. London. Can we ever really get behind a London team? Nah.

"The Hammers. The Hammers. Karl Marx didn't know, but you do, that this is the name given to West Ham United. This team might be right for us - famous for its hooligans, it has been relegated and recovered...took Liverpool to a shootout in the F.A. Cup last year...recent ownership change to a dodgy Icelandic consortium... And it has been, thanks to the Pythons, with us since we were children. Unlike fancy Arsenal, which moved to a new stadium, West Ham has played on the same grounds since 1904. The opening of the Doc Martens stand, built in 2001, was attended by The Queen.

"I have a personal affinity for Aston Villa, but they are a bit posh for our group. Their supporters are 98% white... (but, then, so are we)."

2 Comments:

Blogger Undersecretary to the Deputy Commissariat said...

I hate to burst your bubble, but I am at least 12.5% Cherokee.

July 16, 2007 at 5:56 PM  
Blogger JAB said...

Having briefly played football in England, as a lad, I must say that Man United is right out. I seem to recall a refrain:

"We hate Nottingham Forest
We hate Chelsea too.
We hate Man UNited
But (insert preferred team) we love you."

Mancheseter United was the Dallas Cowboys of Britain - when I, as a lad, was there in ol Albion.

July 16, 2007 at 10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home