November 23, 2007

Review of the First Half of Death Proof


I watched the first half of Quentin Tarantino's Death Proof by myself, yesterday, finishing late last night. I can say now, after eight hours of nightmares, this was a bad idea.

Tarantino is probably his (ours for us Eisengeisters) generation's greatest, most original filmmaker. He is also Hollywood's most ingenious sadist. He can terrorize, brutalize, and torture his audiences at will, but indulges sparingly; just enough to make it hurt. He's like a really talkative acquaintance that is so compelling you can't help but enjoy his company, though you know he will inevitably take you outside of your comfort zone, sometimes by just unexpectedly punching you in the face.

I regrettably never saw Grindhouse, but I suspect that the impact of Death Proof was somewhat muted by having Robert Rodriguez soften up the audience for an hour with flesh-eating zombies and high-firepower prosthetics. I assume that the additional footage in the DVD release of Death Proof is mostly Tarantino-style chatty character development, and Tarantino showing off his exquisite taste in popular music.

Just don't get too comfortable. This movie goes from vaguely creepy to white-hot terror in under seven seconds.

4 Comments:

Blogger JAB said...

I've described this excellent movie as the world's most violent chick flick. It is marked by superb female characters and dialogue, unhampered by a search for suburban female audience, and the most superawesome car chase - at the same time as Kurt Russell scares the dying crap out of you.

Your only mistake was to stop halfway through - it is the estimable Aussie girl -Uma Thurman's stunt double in Kill Bill - who takes you from abject horror to, well...

Grindhouse, as a whole, was the most fun I've had in a while at the movies, and I'm not a horror fan. It veered from the astonishingly silly to the morally terrifying to the disturbingly erotic (that would be any shot with Rose McGowan in it especially in scratchy 16mm color positive) to the beautifully crafted hilarious.

"Werewolf Women of the S.S.?" Make this movie, please.

November 23, 2007 at 7:40 PM  
Blogger VMM said...

Okay, stopping in the middle was a big freakin' mistake.

Anyway, now this movie is one of my favorites.

November 24, 2007 at 1:10 AM  
Blogger VMM said...

Oh, Kiwi, not Ozzie, mate.

November 24, 2007 at 1:16 AM  
Blogger JAB said...

Oops. I hope she doesn't kick my ass. Or DO I?

November 24, 2007 at 8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home