January 10, 2009

A memo from an old acquaintance

Sorry, I moved, I don't know how he got my contact information. Anyway:

"Dear Front,

"How is Doctor X? I never hear from him any more. I am fine.

"In this economic disaster, everyone is asking the same question: what will become of Modernism? It is a matter of destiny and intentions, an indicator of whether America is going to die in silence, or as a whale injured jumping from the ocean and do something far beyond its inevitable spiral into oblivion.

"Maybe I did not say, I live in Los Angeles now, a city so magical, I can not begin to describe it. Yes, I am leaving from from San Mateo. All cases must end, and after a few differences in the accounting data services company where I was head of office, I decided that 'The Peninsula' was middle-brow, too lack of ambition and heroism, than I could tolerate.

"And this Los Angeles - it is so vacant, so beautiful in its desolation. Even the home of Case Study #22 is a little worn down and neglect of rafters, almost even now the wabi-sabi of the Modernism.

"And in this beautiful doomed placed of the capitalism, Modernism is very well. Here is the portfolio of a wonderful restoration of an Eichler house in Granada Hills that cost only $50,000, by designer Cindy Epping (story here).

"This is what beauty is. This is all people should be concerned with.

"Best,
"JC Latouche"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home