February 10, 2009

Bring Back the Phone Booth!

Social cellphone blathering- it harms us all. Yakking like a yak on coke in a cafe, restaurant, or yak stable, irritating the other yaks, plagues our society.

We have a time honored solution: a little wooden room to sit in, sound separated so as not to disturb the other people. It's call the phone booth.

It wasn't uncommon in the early days of the telephone to build a special outbuilding behind the house to make a phone call. Not convenient, but definitely civilized.

We can insulate our conversations from eavesdroppers, eat in peace, make our lives better with proven technology. I call for a full return of the classic full phone booth, particularly for restaurants, theaters, bars, cafes and lobbies.

This means you, stockbroker in the Fremont Tully's.

2 Comments:

Blogger Corresponding Secretary General said...

In the pre-surgery waiting room, there were signs up saying 'please don't use your cell phone as it might interfere with patients' heart monitors.'

A woman took a cell phone call, explained that she couldn't talk and then went on talking . I was working up my best aggrieved stare when a second woman started dialing her cell phone. Inane conversations more important than heart monitors!

I know that these cell phone interference warnings are often overstated, but I nearly blew my top. I think in future, I will gripe if I can figure out how to recalibrate my politeness meter. Sheesh.

February 12, 2009 at 11:31 AM  
Blogger JAB said...

We know we need the booth...we know we need the booth...

February 14, 2009 at 1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home