September 07, 2009

Lobbing it up underhanded

A prefatory note to The Laird's upcoming What I Believe.

Scientists claim to have discovered that the human brain is hardwired to believe in God. (A brief disgruntled comment on 'hardwiring' research is here.)

My own sense of things is that nature earnestly wants you to believe in something, but is not too particular what that something is.

I take this as total validation of my view, formed after watching the television version of Steambath, that Valerie Perrine was hot.


Addendum: A couple of essays from This I Believe touching on this. Of course, This I Believe is not going to pack the field with people saying there is no God and the search for religious meaning is a bigger waste of time than World of Warcraft. But they did choose one, and Penn Jillette delivered. Lots of people on the show say they believe in God, but I thought Whitney Harris could be the standard-bearer for the saner religionists.

Not sure where to put Heinlein, but his is good, too.

3 Comments:

Blogger VMM said...

That study is bullshit. God was invented in the relatively recent past, in terms of the timescale of evolution. These scientists need to take an anthropology class.

September 7, 2009 at 10:06 PM  
Blogger Lee Harvey said...

I don't buy the study's conclusions, but there is some scholarship suggesting very old cave paintings had religious significance. Best I can do is a wikipedia link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_religion

September 8, 2009 at 6:16 AM  
Blogger JAB said...

Great bumper sticker today: "I believe in Life Before Death."

September 8, 2009 at 11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home