December 14, 2009

More Interesting Than The Most Interesting Man in the World

The sheer audacity of this ad campaign put me off at first. But it's grown on me, and frankly, the bear trap won me over:




It turns out that the actor, Jonathon Goldsmith, is pretty interesting himself.

The time is right for this. This character Goldsmith has created just hits the right note. The Hemingway point is spot on, though I'm having trouble spotting the (weak, drunk, stupid) Hefner that the author claims to see. Fernando Lamas, that I can see.

Could we try the macho middle-aged man thing from the 50s and 60s again? It seems to me the American man missed something. He looked at Hemingway, and saw a boozy guy in a boat out spotting submarines and writing prescient geopolitical dispatches and meditating on the meaning of bullfights and liberating the Ritz, and retained: booze+boat=man.

But some of that other stuff was good too! Maybe we could try it again, but this time a little less drunk and crazy, and maybe a little more engaged with and respectful of the world?

Pretty good for a beer ad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home