January 01, 2010

A Nod to the Daughter Artist, Rose Adélaïde Ducreux


In response to Dr. X, I find myself at something of a loss for words in finding this beautiful painting by M. Ducreux's daughter,  Rose Adélaïde, which is far superior to her father's work in technical refinement (much more ambitious light, detail, background, composition and surface refinement) and charm, if not cheekyness, although on closer examination, I would say that cheek is here in spades too.

At least on the internet, there is very little information on this enchanting figure, which is very surprising for such a skilled artist. She died relatively young, at about 41. The masterpiece self-portrait here is in the collection of the Met, and yes, she not only played the harp but composed for it.

I could only find one other work by her, and a portrait of her painting - by David himself. 

What I am especially amazed about is how little work by her there appears to be- but no one could have achieved this without many years of training and practice - the superior formal refinement suggests to me formal training by David (let me assure you that light falling on a patterned rug is no small matter) 

I was able to find a short scrap about some work attributed to David that may have been done by her. She must have done much more work to reach this level of refinement, most of which now probably regarded as other artists' work.

She seems strangely under-researched. Next time I'm in New York, I'll visit this at the Met. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home