May 31, 2011

Really, I Think We’re Going to Be Just Fine

Still working in WV, through the Grace and Generosity of the LofM. The life she is so different here that I feel at a loss to explain it.

There’s a steady stream of young men showing up at the job site just to ask for work. I finally hired a new guy after he showed up to work three days in a row--that’s when I learned he had been walking here from Ohio for six bucks an hour. Walking. From Ohio. Circa 13 miles. He’s been living in an RV with no running water. I offered him a shower and use of our washer and dryer. He suggested working two days without pay as compensation. He ate three bowls of pork stew.

JA has been working for me since I got here. Yesterday he showed up with a toothache. It’s even worse today. He’s got no insurance so I called up my childhood dentist and told him I needed him and needed him cheap. He says he doesn’t do charity. I said I’m an atheist who is willing to pay and if he’s a Christian he ought to act like it. Looks like a root canal. Treatment provided at a discount. JA will work it off.

DW needs to work until he heads off to the Army’s basic training in August. JW, painfully shy, is thrilled to have a boss who actually learns his name. Came by on Sunday for BBQ. Stayed long enough to eat, do the dishes, walk the dog, and carry the exhaust fan four blocks. It was 95 degrees F.

JC, the hardest-working man I know, asked for help studying for the building contractor’s license exam. The library doesn’t carry the study guides but it will soon. Thanks to the LofM, I bought the books and sweet-talked the librarian at the public library into keeping them available as reference guides. JC knows the technical stuff, I’m just guiding him through business law. Today, JC gave me a cordless drill and a socket set. Kind of a thank-you present.

SH showed up today with a gash on the side of his face. A rock flew up from under the lawn mower when he was working at his sister’s place and it cut and bruised him just next to his eye. He thinks he can still work but he needed someone to clean and bandage his injury and that was me. No insurance.

Mark is thrilled that he just got joint custody of his son. Brad wants a letter of recommendation which I will give him when the big windows are finally framed in. Every one of them has been showing up for my Thursday Night Business Law Study Session. Two weeks ago they were so happy with my “lease versus buy” presentation they brought me flowers. Stolen from my own yard.

About half of them are Army veterans who were very interested in the history of Memorial Day. Today I’ve had stomach problems. Each one of them stopped by to check on me. These young men are all under 26 years old---smart, strong, caring, skilled and capable. If they represent the future, we’ve got nothing to worry about.

4 Comments:

Blogger JAB said...

I don't mean this to be a caricature, but I thought immediately of JC in the Grapes of Wrath.


"Before I knowed it, I was sayin' out loud, 'The hell with it! There ain't no sin and there ain't no virtue. There's just stuff people do. It's all part of the same thing.'... I says, 'What's this call, this sperit?' An' I says, 'It's love. I love people so much I'm fit to bust, sometimes.'... I figgered, 'Why do we got to hang it on God or Jesus? Maybe,' I figgered, 'maybe it's all men an' all women we love; maybe that's the Holy Sperit-the human sperit-the whole shebang. Maybe all men got one big soul ever'body's a part of.' Now I sat there thinkin' it, an' all of a suddent-I knew it. I knew it so deep down that it was true, and I still know it."

June 1, 2011 at 12:08 PM  
Blogger The Other Front said...

Ms. CSG:

1) How dare you include actual facts in a post? Facts? This is Eisengeiste.

2) That Jungian subconscious sho 'nuff something something something.

3) Thank you, it's nice to have you posting again, and I really enjoyed reading this.

June 1, 2011 at 10:54 PM  
Blogger Viceroy De Los Osos said...

I saw this post a few hours after Loraine and I both had our cars broken into. Feeling grumpy, violated and put out, it put the day completely into perspective and gave me a swift yet gentle kick in the ass. Keep swinging.

June 2, 2011 at 2:57 PM  
Blogger The Other Front said...

What he said.

June 3, 2011 at 1:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home