July 13, 2012

My favorite rediscovery

Ripping my CDs, and then listening to the results in random order, led to some nice rediscoveries of albums I'd forgotten or ignored over the years. Here was my favorite:

Ruby Vroom - Soul Coughing

Thinking about this album in the past couple of years, I feared it would sound dated. Actually listening to it evokes a wave of nostalgia for the mid-nineties, when my cool friends introduced me to it. I appreciate the whole album more now than I did back in them days, especially the less edgy tracks like Sugar Free Jazz and True Dreams of Wichita.

I recommend you try it again, or for the first time.

(It turns out I had two copies of this CD. Please let me know if I accidentally stole yours!)

2 Comments:

Blogger The Sum of All Monkeys said...

You accidentally stole mine.

BTW: If you don't listen to Mike Doughty (solo act of former Soul Coughing front man) you should.

July 13, 2012 at 10:23 PM  
Blogger The Other Front said...

Found while looking for lyrics to that one Soul Coughing song...


The Bug
WHY I DON’T WANT TO TELL YOU WHAT THE LYRICS TO “THE BUG” ARE – By M. Doughty

We wrote this song in one day, at Fort Apache studios in Boston. Our pal Bil Emmons, who worked as an engineer on the Steve Fisk-produced tracks came up from New York to help out. Yuval got a beat up, Mark got an oscillating-filter-analog-synth thing going, I started fucking around with words. They’re meaningless, really; except for some flirty in-joke references I made to a girl I was dating. I actually cannot remember the bulk of the words. I wrote them on a legal pad and threw them away when I was done. You will never ever know what the actual words are, and in any case, whatever you believe them to be is doubtless three times as interesting as what it actually is. Please, world, leave me the fuck alone about this song, I was big on Batman when I was four and I just wanted to be a part of it, and goddamnit, them Batman people paid us good money and I paid my rent and got the satisfaction of going to the Wal-Mart in Pensacola and seeing that the Batman soundtrack was number six on their chart, and all my Pensacola friends got drunk to celebrate. So the words are useless? Who gives a fuck? I’m just trying to have a good time all the time, mister. Fuck off.

I’m quitting smoking right now. Please excuse me.

Lyrics Unavailable

(link)

July 13, 2012 at 11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home