August 21, 2004

Rising Star

Relegated as I am to the periphery of cinematic enjoyment by my refusal to watch anything made in Hollywood since 1980, I go a bit further afield. Arguably the finest Chinese actress to appear in a recent Icelandic movie, Stephanie Che Yuen Yuen has also been a mainstay of the legendary Virtues of Harmony Hong Kong television series. In the original VOH, set in medieval China she played the evil concubine - in the second series, set in modern Hong Kong, she plays...the evil office manager. Them VOH guys are geniuses.

I think one reason I like her is that she has a very rare quality in a beautiful Asian woman - most of the time, without really trying, she exudes menace.

3 Comments:

Blogger Undersecretary to the Deputy Commissariat said...

Alas, today she exudes 404.

August 22, 2004 at 8:32 PM  
Blogger VMM said...

re: Beautiful Asian women exuding menace -- if you'd seen a movie that came out a couple of years ago called "Kill Bill vol. 1", you'd know about Chiaki Kuriyama.

August 23, 2004 at 3:29 PM  
Blogger Undersecretary to the Deputy Commissariat said...

*Sigh*. Ms. Yuen Yuen's menace has been "Eisengeisted" again.

This picture is a little menacing, but only subtly: http://www.dighkmovies.com/v2/70/Bake1.jpg

Seeing her like this on the street might make me walk the other way:
http://www.hkentreview.com/2000/june/0619/0619enew11p3.gif

I guess I'll have to wait for definitive SCYY menance, though.

August 23, 2004 at 4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home