October 10, 2004

A Better Internet

I remember stepping off a train in Philadelphia in the early 1990's. As I approached the cabstand, 12 cabbies of various nationalities rushed to offer their services, each trying to explain, in the accent of his native land, why his particular cab service was uniquely indispensible. Like a good German, I picked the first one in line.

Surfing the Internet for any commercial service today is a similar experience. Tonite I was looking for a car stereo installer in San Francisco, and got nowhere. The top of Google is nothing but chain stores, toplists, shysters, intermediaries, spybot installers and God knows what else.

And then (sound of harp arpeggio) I found a website that is what Yahoo! could have been! A network of trustworthy business partners who are hustling for a quick buck, but really mean to give you good service and earn your repeat business! I refer, of course, to the Cole Hardware Community Connections page.

And my stereo guy has an endorsement from Bobby McFerrin...

1 Comments:

Blogger JAB said...

Somewhere deep within the community connections board is lurking, very quietly, a model for the correct management of a global moral economy.

October 10, 2004 at 10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home