June 02, 2005

Apparently, I Was the Last to Get the Message

Top-selling bands in U.S. history, ranked by cumulative sales, according to the RIA:
  1. The Beatles
  2. Led Zeppelin
  3. Pink Floyd
  4. The Eagles
  5. AC/DC
Just yesterday, before I saw this, I was thinking I have no desire to see an AC/DC concert. To me a great concert band can't just rock - there must be a range of material, a creative ability to take the audience on a journey and deliver a multifaceted experience that enriches us as humans. And three of bands I thought were particularly good at this appear at the top of the list.

The Eagles suck.

But, given the question 'what band would you like to see, live in their prime' I came up with three other bands that I would prefer to any of the above (except the Beatles, who I don't think can be touched in this category). In order:
  1. Sam and Dave - The original Blues Brothers. They played rockers, R&B, ballads, had two voices for the price of one, and a dozen costume changes per show.
  2. Talking Heads - The 'Stop Making Sense' is pretty definitive.
  3. Tom Petty - A musician friend who has been to more concerts than any three of us combined says the greatest show he ever saw was Tom Petty at the Fillmore in 1999.
Honorable Mention to The Rolling Stones - Give the devil his due: few groups could both rock and play a ballad like the Stones. And few have produced so many good songs across a broad range of styles. With so many choices, how do they choose the songs for their shows? (Step 1: Omit 'Emotional Rescue'. But then what?)
Am I forgetting someone? I keep thinking I'm forgetting someone...?

The image “http://members.home.nl/marel/achtergrond%20elvis.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

1 Comments:

Blogger Undersecretary to the Deputy Commissariat said...

You're missing the "other Elvis."

June 3, 2005 at 11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home