September 11, 2007

The Third Man


The shooting script for The Third Man, what is increasingly becoming my favorite movie .)

Incredibly taut, hilarious, atmospheric, and morally frightening; and a testament in itself to the paradox of all movies: film glorifies it's subject - as it does friendship. The latter paradox drives the movie. Yet try to watch this place full of desperation, danger, murder, betrayal, people grubbing a tenuous life out of rubble with only the possibility of things getting worse to look forward to, and not want to visit Vienna.

Especially as the plot is hardly abstract, even today.

Which reminds me, I need that hat.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Sum of All Monkeys said...

Right on all accounts, sir.

Except one:

In fact, Rotten Tomatoes has many more movies with a 100 rating.

A minor nit, really. And it reminds me, I really need to check some of those out, and revisit some old favorites.

September 11, 2007 at 1:48 PM  
Blogger JAB said...

An obvious mistake, easily avoided had I hit a different button - perhaps I should go to Vienna and research this further, as soon as I get my hat.

September 11, 2007 at 4:39 PM  
Blogger Latouche at Large said...

I never knew the old Vienna before the war, with its Strauss music, its glamour and easy charm ...

September 13, 2007 at 2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home