May 09, 2010

Eisengeiste Exclusive: An Interview with Isaac Hull

Thanks to the Eisengeiste space-time continuum adjuster, we have a few minutes with Isaac Hull.

Q:  Wonderful to have you here, Captain.
A:  It's good to be here - wherever 'here' is...

Q:  Now, this isn't well-known, but you actually almost grew up right on ship-board, didn't you?
A:  Yes, my father would take me on voyages when I was a very young boy. 

Q:  And you chose the seafaring life instead of college?
A:  After my father died - his time on that British prison hulk [the Jersey -ed.] had wrecked his health and he died young - my uncle took me in.  He intended for me to go to college, but when I was 14 I went to sea as cabin boy on a merchant ship, and from there I was set on my course.

Q:  You were in the U.S. Navy right from the start, weren't you?
A:  Yes, as a matter of fact, I was one of the original officers.  I saw a bit of action before the big war with the British, too.  I'll never forget that cutting-out expedition during the Quasi-War with France.

Q:  We don't know much about that conflict nowadays, but I gather it was important preparation for what was to come?
A:  Well, the Navy was really built-up from scratch, but our officers insisted on the highest standard in everything we did, especially gunnery, from the very start.  We knew sometimes we'd be outnumbered, fighting against the odds, so we wanted to pack a punch.  We did, too: we took 22 French warships during that time, against the loss of one of our own.  And we got that one back.

Q:  You were one of Preble's Boys, weren't you?
A:  Yes indeed, I served with him at Tripoli.

Q:  I've often wondered at your behavior after you captured Guerriere...  Here you are, you're facing the commander of a ship that has been harassing your countrymen, pressing Americans into service to fight against you...
A:  Actually, before the fight he had sent the impressed Americans below decks so they wouldn't be obliged to fight us.

Q:  Still, these people had captured and ruined the health of your father, harmed your friends and countrymen - and yet you refused the sword of Captain Dacres.
A:  Yes, and someone had taken his mother's Bible, and I ordered that returned to him.

Q:  Why would you treat an enemy like that?
A:  He wasn't my enemy - he had fought hard and surrendered his vessel.  But it wasn't just that.  We were free men - we didn't pull men off neutral ships and force them into service.  We believed you treat all prisoners - not just the officers - with respect.

Q:  You know Constitution is still afloat, she's berthed in Boston.
A:  Really?

Q:  Yes, the cannons are fired twice a day in memory of the deeds of her crew.
A:  Well, that's fine.

Q:  The neighbors complain about the noise.
A:  [laughing]  Well, that's ok, too.  It's a free country...isn't it, still?

1 Comments:

Blogger Cynthia said...

ACtually, it's a myth that his father died on the prison ship Jersey. He returned home to CT and lived out his life a ruined, unhealthy man. Isaac lived with his Uncle only to study and hopefully enter the law at Yale instead chose a life at sea. He was pretty much illiterate until at the age of twenty, when he realized he needed to know math and navigation in order to succeed in the Navy, he settled down and learned his 3 R's.
Otherwise, a totally cool interview and glad to hear his spirit still lives.

July 23, 2010 at 1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home