January 21, 2012

"I can only look at so much art, okay?"

I found a really nice room in the Louvre, today. It had a bench, and no art in it whatsoever.

My eyes are full.

While I feel very privileged to be able to spend the day there (and another planned for Monday to go to the Dutch/Flemish/German wing), I can't help but feel that this museum is a victim of its own success. Put everything in the world in one gigantic facility, and you have a place overrun by packs of tour groups taking photos of everything and looking at nothing. Also, they don't have enough guards to actually enforce the rules. If nearly yelled "Ne pas toucher!" at a woman posing for a photo with her hand on an ancient Greek sculpture. Flash photography is forbidden, but flashes are going off constantly.

I leave you with the only photo of a painting I took: Hubert Robert's imagining of the Louvre in ruins (and I just found the same painting at the top of Robert's wikipedia page, so why did I bother?)




2 Comments:

Blogger JAB said...

Get back in there, soldier! Move move move!

January 21, 2012 at 10:56 AM  
Blogger The Other Front said...

Nice shoes.

January 21, 2012 at 11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home