September 18, 2012

Correction

Many years ago, the Sea Lord asked me if a steam-powered airplane had ever flown successfully.  I was fairly sure that none had, and I thought my confidence justified because I was sure I'd have heard about such a craft if it had existed.

It turns out I was wrong on both counts, and I'd like to correct the record:

In 1933, the Bessler Brothers built and flew the world's first and only successul steam-engine airplane.

At the end of the article, there's a video clip from contemporary film reels.  If you want to go straight to the fun stuff, here it is.

2 Comments:

Blogger JAB said...

It can burn regular oil, and reverse thrust. Very interesting. Annoying to have your boiler water freeze up, I imagine.

September 20, 2012 at 12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

More fun stuff here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CKreEvBu_k

September 22, 2012 at 3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home