September 29, 2018

The Ladykillers - lessons in subtle comedy amid farce

Well, I wondered, what would be a subtle funny movie?  Long ago I saw Kind Hearts and Coronets and thought it had some subtle business amid the broad humor.  Reflecting back on it, I realized I had never made time for that other Ealing masterpiece, The Ladykillers.  Well say no more!  One trip to Blockbuster later I popped it into the old Betamax and away we went.

It's bloody brilliant.

Here is John Badham's entry in Trailers From Hell -




The sets, especially the color palette are inspired, even Hitchcock would approve.  The opening scenes, as the menacing Alec Guinness character shadows Mrs. Wilberforce, are brilliantly filmed (apparently an homage to Hitchcock's The Lodger), and Guinness' entrance is - wow:


The script is aces, too, everyone gets good bits, even Mrs. Wilberforce:
Mrs. Louisa Wilberforce: ...May I ask you where you studied? 
One-Round: ...Well, I didn't really study any place, Lady... I just sort of... picked it up. 
Mrs. Louisa Wilberforce: You know, I was so surprised when I heard what you were playing. It brought back something that, really, I'd completely forgotten all about: my 21st birthday party. You see, my father had engaged a string quintet to come in and play in the evening; and while they were playing Boccherini, someone came in and said the old queen had passed away. And everyone went home. And that was the end of my party, all that time ago, in Pangbourne. 
[Silence] 
Mrs. Louisa Wilberforce: Well, if you'll excuse me, I'll run and make the tea. The kettle *must* be nearly on the boil. 
[She leaves] 
One-Round: Who's she talkin' about? Old queen who?

That nice actress won a BAFTA award, and holy crap that brilliant cockney thug was Peter Sellers!?

One and the same

We even get a cameo from Obi-Wan Kenobi -



If you haven't seen it, you must. If you've seen it, see it again. There's nothing in theaters right now, and it has a 100% score on Rotten Tomatoes because it is perfect. And in a few places it is even...somewhat...subtle.




For Terence Davies, an Ealing alum, one of the subtleties of The Ladykillers was its depiction of failed men of all kinds, in a nation that had just lost an Empire:




The Guardian:  "The greatest comedy caper" (link)

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger VMM said...

Really great movie -- incredible cast. My especial favorite is the scene with Alec Guinness washing the dishes.

September 30, 2018 at 12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home