August 26, 2004

This Just In- Nudity Increases Traffic

An immediate effect today from posting Gerhart Richter's creepy and depressing photo-realist naked girl painting on Today's Tomorrow's Headlines - traffic tripled. Which is interesting - Richter's work is the dark german anti-Warhol, a minutely accurate painter's recording of well-choosen damaged or "poor" quality photographs (I quote my flip review of his SF MOMA show "It was brilliant, but it wasn't wonderful.")

The beautiful nudes of classical painters do not have that effect on traffic, so we might loosely conclude that the cues (I'm trying not to say signifiers - the semiotic storm troopers are really driving me up the wall) of degraded photography are more erotically compelling to random internet viewers. Which suggests an uncomfortable, demeaning relationship between technology and real sexuality; a surprise, I am sure, to no one.

My next sticker: Photography Kills.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home